Planning your telehealth workflow
Your process for setting up and managing appointments may need to shift to accommodate telehealth appointments. You can save time and frustration by thinking through each stage of the workflow ahead of time.
The details of your workflow will need to adapt to the platform you choose, but here are a few basics to consider.
Preparing for telehealth visits
Communicate with your staff about:
- When you’ll be available for telehealth appointments
- How patients can schedule appointments
- How you will access the information you need for each patient visit
- Who will greet the patient first when they join the visit — for example, you may want a medical assistant to ask some initial questions before you join
Tip: Consider doing a practice run with a co-worker first.
Conducting telehealth visits
Make sure to:
- Identify yourself to new patients
- Confirm the patient’s identity
- Make sure that the patient’s equipment is working
- Keep the visit as much like an in-person visit as possible
Following-up after telehealth visits
Make sure to document the visit, including the fact that it was a telehealth visit.
Tip: Consider asking patients how your team could improve their telehealth experience.